Thursday, November 5

A Patriotic "Reality Check!" for Momma!

The kids new school, American Prepatory Academy (APA) had their opening flag ceremony and Utah's governor came to speak to the kids and participate in the flag ceremony. Ala reminded me each day the week prior to make sure I'd be there. I'm glad I made it because it was a neat experience.

It was held outside after school on Monday. There were tons of parent support which I was happy to see. Along with the governor was one of the Utah Sentors and other members from the board. It was neat to see the school director (principal) introduce each member from the government, then asking the students which government branch that actual member served in. I was so impressed to hear the students answers, they knew each person and whether they served in the Legislative, Executive or Judicial branch. The kids then recited by memory some patriotic poems and then he governor gave a motivational speech and then he helped the boy scouts raise the flag. I was actually standing right by the flag pole so I tried to take pics, but they weren't the best.















Once the flag was raised, we all said the Pledge of Alligance and sang the National Anthem (didn't know there was a 2nd verse to the antehm and felt dumb that I didn't know it, but my kids did...lol). After some closing remarks Ala's class was chosen to sing the closing song, "God Bless America" and they sounded so great!! Here's a picture of Ala and his choir. Notice how he's front and center...I knew right away that his music teacher put him there because he is so LOUD! LOL!
Here's a picture of Alafoki with Governor Herbert. He came over to thank Ala's choir for singing, then we caught a quick picture. Beanie felt she was too cool to be around her momma this day, and I didn't catch any pictures. Silly girl!
I realized that I better get up to speed with my own knowledge of the government, 'cause on the drive home we talked about the whole experience, then my kids totally "schooled" me on who the members of the state senate were as well as these government branches...my head was hurting!! LOL!! Totally impressed with this new school of theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MY FAMILY