Wednesday, August 12

It's DO or DIE!


Ok, so maybe my title is a bit exaggerated...but this is a day we've been kinda dreading...or maybe so! My son started his 3rd year of little league football this year. He’s always wanted to run the ball, but you have to meet a certain weight requirement in order to do so. The first two years, he has missed that weight limit by a few pounds or more and ended up being one of the smaller linemen. Still, I think he’s been AWESOME at that lineman position and rocked the bigger guys anyway! This year, he was determined to run that ball…and since summer started Ala has made a goal to meet the weight limit of 100lbs. Yes, he’s only 10 years old, but I like to think he’s big boned and solid which makes him heavier.

About the end of June, Ala weighed 114lbs and told Justin and I that he had his mind set to lose the weight and run that ball. If you know this kid, he loves and I mean LOVES his sweets! I wasn’t sure if he could do it, but I was sure going to support him. I was surprised to see him day in and day out, eating healthy…just fruits and yogurt, or a bowl of cheerios for breakfast….drinking nothing but spring water (he told me purified water helps you sweat more than the regular tap water…not sure where that info came from)…and then for lunch was grilled chicken breast or turkey with broccoli (no sauces, just spices) or a sandwich w/ whole wheat bread…then small snacks like a banana, grapes or strawberries in the evening. He has worked out every morning at the gym in addition to his football practices in the evening and I am so AMAZED at his determination and it shows! (Here's one pic of him half way through this weight loss)

(Ala & his dad and cousins posin' with some of his most favorite Cougar football players, Reno and Fahu. This was taken at this summer's BYU football camp early July.)

So, today is the weigh in, August 12th…Do or Die Day!! This day has been circled big on the calendar and drilled in my mind! I’ve been nervous all day thinking about his weigh in tonight!! Now about 6 weeks later he’s weighed in at 100lbs-101lbs these last 2-3 days. It’s NERVE WRECKING! This morning he weighed 100 ½ lbs…GEEZ! Lookin’ at his face this morning, he just looks so determined yet a bit stressed about this weigh in. He’s worked SO HARD and he totally deserves this!! I, as his momma, well, any mom would agree I’m sure, but, I’m just as nervous…I’m sitting here at work and I can’t focus…so I started typing these feelings out, hoping it’ll relief some of this anxiety! Heck, I think this baby is feelin ‘the nerves too ‘cause he hasn’t stopped movin’ all day, which isn’t normal for us! I know my hubby is feelin’ the nerves as well ‘cause I called him and he took Alafoki to the sauna to sweat it out…(never thought about that…takin’ your kid to a sauna?? DEAR OH DEAR!)…then I talked to my son and he said he’s only going to drink water for today and nothin’ else! Should a kid have to go through this? I don’t think so! In fact, there were many times I tried to get my son to eat more these past weeks because I’m not used to this skinny Ala I’m seeing which makes me sad…but at the same time I can see how much he wants this…and I want it for him too! I have to say I’m so proud of him for his determination…AND (this is me thinking positive) once he weighs in UNDER 100lbs tonight, I told my son I’m taking him straight to Chuck-A-Rama…his FAVE! Hey, all he has to do is make this weigh in…and then he can’t weigh whatever he wants!! LOL!!

*keep your fingers, toes and eyes crossed people*

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ALA!!

-VEEYAH-

2 comments:

  1. Awww LOVE his DETERMINATION, hope he made the weight!! Good luck ala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow ALA send some of that motivation my way please!! HE WILL MAKE IT!!! GOOOOOOOOOO ALA!!! u lil cutie!!! bless ur heart V!!! ur such a good momma!!! don't worry too much not good for baby

    ReplyDelete

MY FAMILY