Sunday, January 31

Tallahassee Take Me Away!

My little sister Toree was called to serve in the Florida, Tallahassee mission. She reports to the MTC on March 24th....that's less than 2 months away.

Mom & Dad knew she was preparing and working on her papers for the mission. They thought she still had a few dental appointments, so when this white envelope came in the mail this past Wednesday, they were SHOCKED, yet so happy! She's only our 2nd missionary to leave out of us 11 kids and it's been over 10 years since the last missionary, so it was beyond HAPPINESS! I love seeing my parents on cloud nine....I love even more that Toree has made this decision to serve.
This pic is right after Toree read her mission call, she was so choked up, so mom finished reading it. Yes, mom is holding a mic...hahaha! The house was PACKED so we had people around the whole house and wanted to be sure everyone could hear. But, I love this picture so much, look at how proud my dad is! I was so choked up myself and held myself away from Toree that night or I would've just LOST it! Meanwhile, everyone else got to hug her and take pics...here's our future missionary with Justin, Ala and Drew.
So, I've never told Toree this, but when she left home for college, it was quite hard for me. For the first few months, whenever she'd come visit and leave again, I cried in my own secrecy. If you know Toree and I, then you know our closeness and I seriously count her as one of my own.
Heavenly Father must know my struggle at this time and wants to be sure I'm prepared emotionally for when she leaves. I noticed this song playing almost every time I turned the radio on in the car or at work these past few days. I realized it was a message for me about Toree and serving the Lord. Well, that's how I take it anyway...and it has certainly comforted me. Toree's mission covers northern Florida and ALL of southern Alabama...she's gonna get some of that southern cookin'! Anyway, this song really clicked for me. It's by the Dixie Chicks called, "Cowboy take me away." I've got the lyrics below and replaced "Cowboy" with "Tallahassee." It may sound silly to anyone else, but to me, it makes perfect sense!

I said I wanna touch the earth, I wanna break it in my hands.
I wanna grow something wild and unruly.
I wanna sleep on the hard ground in the comfort of your arms,
On a pillow of blue bonnets in a blanket made of stars.
Oh it sounds good to me...I said Tallahassee take me away
Fly this girl as high as you can into the wild blue
Set me free oh I pray closer to heaven above and closer to you
Closer to you.
I wanna walk and not run, I wanna skip and not fall
I wanna look at the horizon, and not see a building standing tall
I wanna be the only one, for miles and miles
Except for maybe you, and your simple smile
Oh it sounds good to me, yes it sounds so good to me,
Tallahassee take me away, fly this girl as high as you can into the wild blue
Set me free, oh, I pray, closer to heaven above, and closer to you..
Closer to you
Toree's done so well living independently in Orem these past two years...and now Tallahassee gets her for 18 months....boy are they LUCKY!

6 comments:

  1. Vee that's so sweet!!! I'm gonna have to tell my hubby because that was his mission too!!! He will be thrilled!! Toree will be a great missionary!!! wooohooo congrats on Tallahassee!!! so cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your family and sis on her call..Priceless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...Congratulations TORI! Veeyah I love how proud your Dad looks in that photo! Priceless! =) Veeyah You are such a great big sister, thanks for your example! We love you Tori...and we are excited for you and know you will be an amazing Missionary! =) Thanks for sharing Veeyah...I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for your fam! Your parents look so proud! Too cute! I remember the last missionary your fam sent out! I still can't believe that Toree is old enough to go on a mission! Wow, i'm old! :) congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome we are so excited for Toree your a grea sister Vee we love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwww Love it vee! So happy for Tor-Tor and am going to miss her short little self when she leaves. . .waaaaaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete

MY FAMILY